Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Everything is in a name.


We're told that you can tell a lot from a name, but is that true? I don't think so. There are lots of examples of names that tell us really nothing about what's going on with them. Let's look at a few examples.

Yesterday, I saw someone eat sweetbreads. (not really) If you are unfamiliar, you might think someone ate some sweet flavored bread, right? Well you couldn't be any wronger. Wiki says, "Sweetbreads or ris are culinary names for the thymus (throat, gullet, or neck sweetbread) or the pancreas (heart, stomach, or belly sweetbread)." Feel mislead? Yeah, you should. Don't even get me started on head cheese.

Ok here's another example.

Yesterday I bought something from American Eagle.(not really. I guess technology does make us liars.) I thought I bought a ticket to Paris, instead I got a really nice polo that made me feel fly as Paris...Hilton. If you didn't know, American Eagle is the name of both a clothing store and an airline.

Last one if you're still with me.

When I was in middle school, I would listen to the cranberries all the time. Not the band, but these cranberries that would talk to me and tell me to burn things...

4 comments:

mikey said...

Jared told me we're going to Linkin Park... instead he took me to a church

m said...

mikey, that church believes in santa... i hope that's a typo.

mikey said...

lol!

Jared said...

i thought they would finish the creed with "in the end, it doesn't even matter."