Wednesday, June 22, 2011

the frosting on top

Growing up there were many snacks I enjoyed eating. Some of my favorites included: shark bites, fruit by the foot (which is actually 3 feet 1 inch, the lawsuit didn't work out.), fruit roll-ups, gushers, and more shark bites. However, nothing could beat the allure of my favorite snack of all: frosting.

Of course, as a child, my parents would prevent me from eating such items as a meal. But since I'm an adult now (at least that's what Disney World told me when I was purchasing admission), I can freely buy these items and eat them as a non-traditional meal. The odd thing is, I still haven't done it yet, and perhaps after I write this post, I will actually go through with it. But in the meanwhile, let me share my favorite frostings/creme fillings/whipped cream items growing up:

1. Cool Whip
When I was a kid, I had no idea what was in this. All I knew was that it made mediocre-tasting ice cream, cakes, and pies into delicious treats. But then it occurred to me, that by some mathematical proof, cool whip must taste amazing on its own (QED). Having a spoonful of this is like eating a spoonful of cool whip in heaven.

2. Oreo Cream Filling
My favorite thing to do with this delectable item was win the wishbone game with two oreos, then combine them into a double cream filling treat. Of course, now they have double stuf which basically mimics what I did as a child. Oh, if only I could count the hours wasted...studying the Bohr model.

3. Dunkaroos Frosting
The American pastime of snacks: dunkaroos (this isn't a sentence, so it doesn't deserve a period.)
I loved eating all but one of the little teddy graham-ish cookies with as minimal frosting possible. When I got to the last cookie, I would immerse it with all the remaining frosting. I cleaned up all the frosting from the container as if my future spouse's acne depended on it. Some day I hope to live the dream again as an adult, I just need the courage to click the purchase button.

6 comments:

mikey said...

I didn't like oreos until like college.... I was too fobby, I didn't like mac and cheese either

now I like both!

christina said...

i remember when airheads became popular, i pretended to like them. couldn't fake it with warheads though.

Jeff said...

cool hwhip

mikey said...

warheads are awesome! what's that other really sour candy with a yellow wrapper with someone's face on it...

does anyone know what I'm talking about??

mikey said...

found it... it's called super lemon, it's from japan

http://www.amazon.com/Nobel-Japanese-Candy-Nostalgic-3-09-Ounce/dp/B000EZWQ4Y

jchiu said...

my dad immensely dislikes sour stuff. i once tricked him into eating a warhead. heh lol.